Tuesday, March 25, 2014

HYPERACUSIS AND LYME DISEASE

PLEASE DON'T SNEEZE THAT LOUD! Oh don't bang the dishes in the sink pleeease! It's so loud!!! My head vibrates from the sounds!

What is going on with me? Why are everyday normal sounds making my ears and head go crazy? It's like someone turned up the volume in the world around me!

The condition is called Hyperacusis and is a wonderful Lyme symptom.

**Lyme disease patients can experience an extreme sensitivity to sound, also known as auditory hyperacusis. In some patients it is limited to louder sounds, but in the more severe cases "ordinary" sounds can be very debilitating. The impact can be felt throughout the body, and this condition can affect every aspect of daily living. Patients can experience heightened awareness and an inability to tolerate conversation, running water, page turning, the humming of electronic devices, other people's breathing, etc. These normal everyday sounds become painful and unbearable, and as a result the individual's ability to leave the home is greatly limited. Patients may also experience an increased startle response and an "electric shock" type feeling.
Sounds can also induce dizziness, and this is called Tullio's phenomenon or audiogenic seizure disorder. According to Jenifer Nields, MD, "This peculiar short-circuiting of the inner ear's auditory and vestibular functions is known as the Tullio phenomenon. This phenomenon has been deemed pathognomonic for syphilis (43) but, as it appears, can occur in Lyme disease as well (41), and thus provides one more example of the "new great imitator," Lyme disease, imitating the old "great imitator," syphilis (1)." (Psychiatric Quarterly, Spring 1992)Vestibular Hyperacusis can also affect the autonomic nervous system.
Sometimes another central auditory processing disorder, tinnitus (buzzing or ringing in the ear), can accompany hyperacusis. Lyme disease patients can also experience sensitivities to light, smells, taste, touch, motion and/or temperatures.
**Taken from Lyme Info

9 comments:

  1. This is my most debilitating symptom. Do you know anyone who has managed to resolve this symptom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know so I am hoping through my blog maybe I can get some answers and relief?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think clinking of dishes, sliding of the shower curtain or setting a mug down on the counter are the worst sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes dishes are awful, putting away the silverware makes me cringe! Sudden loud noises too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel horrible that I have to keep telling my kids to be quiet. Also, friends don't understand why I hate to talk on the phone. I really really want to know how to stop this. I read once that they make an anti-hearing aid but that they are very expensive. I keep stocked up on ear plugs but they are so uncomfortable. Thank you for sharing this. I feel a bit better knowing it's not just me being "weird."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Cindy you are certainly not alone! So sorry you have to deal with this too. Mine isn't as bad as many folks have shared so for that I am so grateful, but I am concerned of it getting worse so hoping to get some answers for relief. I will update my blog whenever I do learn new information. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hannah has Vestibular Hyperacusis and has found some help from Irlen glasses. http://irlen.com/

    Florescent lights make her terribly ill. That is actually how we found out about our Lyme. Hannah has such strange things happening and as we researched what was happening to her, it all fell into place and made sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Lora! I am so glad you found out what was wrong! How's treatment going? And are ya'll doing abx or natural remedies? This Lyme is so awful! I know too many folks that have it.

      Delete
  8. My name is hoover, my 18 years old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, fever, hepatitis A.B.C., syphilis, diarrhea, HIV/AIDS, Huntington's Disease, back acne, Chronic renal failure, addison disease, Chronic Pain, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy, Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumour, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia, Cervical Disk Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma, Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, feta alcohol spectrum, Dysthymic Disorder, Eczema, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease. and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete